Friday, October 3, 2014

Copy files to Windows Server Core 2008 R2

I built a Server Core system on Hyper-V and wanted to copy some files to it. I checked Google for solutions but didn't really find a good one. So I figured out my own way to this problem. Maybe not a smart way, but worked for me.

  1. Make sure the Server Core is within the same LAN as your other computers you want to copy files from.
  2. Share a folder to 'everyone' on the other computer.
  3. Put your files into the folder.
  4. On the Server Core, send Ctrl+Alter+Del to call Task Manager.
  5. Use Run, and type "\\<other computer's IP>\<folder name>\*". (You don't actually open the folder to see what's inside it cause you don't have the function at all.)
  6. Here comes the username and password messagebox, and you go enter them.
  7. Go back to CMD, use DOS command to copy your files to the local Server Core. Something like this:  "COPY  \\10.0.0.123\sharedfolder\*.*  C:\"
  8. N files copied. Done.

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest to use GS Copy Pro for this job to be done. I am using it myself from a long time now and I am highly satisfied with what this software delivers. The best part with this software is that it provides option to copy every file in VSS mode only. This can be useful when copying hyper-v files. And injection of files in Hyper-v VM then becomes really easy. I would suggest you to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete